At Myatt Garden, many of our children are fluent in more than one language and we are proud of the number of languages spoken within our school community. We believe that learning another language provides an opening to other cultures and deepens our understanding of the world.
In Key Stage 2, all children learn Spanish as a modern foreign language. They follow a progressive scheme of learning that builds their vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar and writing skills. Lessons are active and engaging and always involve oral participation by the children.
Pupils are taught to:
- listen attentively to spoken Spanish and show understanding by joining in and responding;
- explore the patterns and sounds of the language through songs and rhymes;
- engage in conversations: ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others;
- speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures;
- develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand;
- present ideas and information orally;
- read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing;
- appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language;
- write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences;
- describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing;
- understand basic Spanish grammar.
Our Spanish curriculum provides the foundation for learning further languages and for continued learning of Spanish at secondary school.